CHEŁMSKA GÓRA near. Koszalin – moraine hill with a height of. 137 m n.p.m., located to the north-west of Koszalin. One of the three sacred mountains of Pomerania with the sanctuary of Our Lady of the Thrice in the Diocese of Koszalin-Kołobrzeg.
The most famous holy mountain of Pomerania was a place of worship already in the Younger Stone Age (ok. 2 thousand. years BC), in the period of the Proto-Slavic Lusatian culture, and for Pomeranian Slavs, who built a pagan shelter (burnt down in the 12th century.). According to Andrzej Szyjewski, the top of the mountain was surrounded by a circle of sacrificial candles, similarly to the Tumskie Hill in Płock or Radzikowo. Located in the coastal zone of the Baltic Sea, Chełmska Góra is considered to be the highest coastal elevation up to the Netherlands. Well visible from the land and sea, in the past it was an important landmark for sailors and hikers. Information about it was placed in itineraries, sailing guides and books. The oldest itineraries and maps with vignettes of Pomeranian holy mountains come from 1380, 1500,1550 i 1560. It is generally accepted, that the first Christian chapel on Chełmska Góra was built in 1. half. XIII w. through the Premonstratensians of Białobok. From dated to 1263 the mention follows, that it was managed by the "vicar Mikołaj" and that until the construction of a new church in Koszalin, it served as a parish church. From 1278 until the end of the 16th century, the patronage over the chapel was exercised by cistercians from Koszalin. They were probably the ones that introduced the cult of the Blessed Virgin Mary on Chełmska Góra. Pope Boniface IX in the Bulletin of 1399 he confirmed, that in the chapel on Chełmska Góra there is "distinguished with great veneration", the image of the Blessed Virgin Mary, famous for a long time for its "numerous miracles" and visited by the "great crowd" of pilgrims, while in the bull of z 29 of December 1400, addressed to the Cistercian Convent in Koszalin, Norbertines in Białobok, churches of St.. Mark in Venice and the Blessed Virgin Mary in Aachen established the main pilgrimage ceremonies at Chełmska Góra on 15 of August – feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. An additional incentive to make pilgrimages was initiated by Pope Gregory in the 11th century 1378 and the suffragan bishop of Kamień, John 1395, and the generous granting of indulgence privileges continued by their successors. The preserved documents confirm, that pilgrims from Rome and almost all of Europe made pilgrimages here; however, the most numerous of the Hanseatic cities. W 1387 in front of the image of Our Lady of G.Ch. she was praying, experiencing spiritual graces and revelations, bl. Dorota from Mątowy (1347-1394).
The small chapel did not meet the pilgrims' needs, therefore in the years 1431-1458 it was rebuilt or a new church was built. In its interior there is, among others. miraculous image of Mary, side altars of St.. Apolonia and St.. Barbara and votive offerings. As a result of the reformation movements, the worlds of 1533— 1545 the chapel was closed, and its equipment has not been found until today. Bricks and stones from the demolished village 1592 the chapel was used to build the castle in Kazimierz.
W XVII w. a 3-meter wooden mast with a banner was erected on Chełmska Góra. W 1892 at the behest of King William II, a monument was erected in honor of "brave Pomeranians who died in the Prussian liberation struggle". In years 60. the cross was removed from Chełmska Góra.
W 1990 by decision of the Koszalin city authorities, the peak of Chełmska Góra was handed over to the Szensztat Institute of the Sisters of Mary. Soon a characteristic chapel was erected on the top with a painting of Our Lady of the Three Times the Curious.
He made a sacrifice 1 June 1991 Holy Father John Paul II. From then on, a chapel, which was given the name "Sanctuary of the Covenant", is visited annually by approx 100 thousand. pilgrims coming from all over the world. In just a few years, many thanks have been written in the books for the favors received. A tradition of prayers for the Church before the Western Cross was developed (at Tuesdays), Eastern (on Thursdays) and Oneness (other days of the week). At the top of Chełmska Góra, outside the aforementioned chapel, today you can see the outline of the original chapel and a fragment of the wall of the 15th-century church. The top of Chełmska Góra, entered in the state register of monuments, is surrounded by a rosary arranged with 59 stone boulders, from the former chapel. The entire peak of Chełmska Góra, together with hundreds of graves of former pilgrims, it has become an open sanctuary. The main pilgrimage ceremonies fall on the feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary 15 of August.