Czerwińsk on the Vistula River

CZERWIŃSK on the Vistula River -sanctuary of Our Lady of Consolation, Mrs. Mazovia. A village in the Warsaw Basin, 9 km east of Wyszogród in the Płock diocese.

Already mentioned in 1065 in the Mogilno fake, at the end of the 11th century. Cz. was the property of the Płock bishops (1155 settlement of regular Lateran canons and foundation of the monastery complex by Aleksander of Malonne, Bishop of Płock). Medieval Czerwińsk was divided into bishops until the 17th century (city ​​law 1373) and monastic (city ​​law 1582). In this center of political life, cultural, economic and religious in Mazovia, the nobility received the so-called. Czerwińsk privileges (1422).

The dukes of Mazovia and Polish kings resided in the abbey of regular canons, Władysław Jagiełło, among others, Kazimierz Jagiellończyk, Władysław IV, Jan Kazimierz, and later, high-ranking state and church dignitaries – by giving thanksgiving votive offerings on matters of state importance or on personal favors. The church and monastery were destroyed during the Swedish invasion, and the clergy repressed, including. after the January Uprising. Monastery complex – built in the Romanesque style, rebuilt in gothic, Renaissance and Baroque – and a Romanesque church made of granite blocks, oriented, basilica type, with a barrel vault with lunettes, the two-tower tower has been recognized as one of the most valuable architectural monuments in Poland. The Romanesque portal and columns from the 12th century deserve attention., Romanesque frescoes from 1. half. XIII w., gothic, renaissance and baroque, door fittings, late gothic belfry, gothic and late gothic monastery rebuilt in the 16th century. and later. In the monastery refectory there is a copy of the painting of Our Lady of Ostra Brama. The Pilgrim House is located in the vicinity of the monastery buildings.

In the altar from the beginning of. XVII w. there is an image of Our Lady of Czerwińska in a silver one, gilded dress, painted on canvas in 1612 by Łukasz from Łowicz.

It is one of the most beautiful replicas of a Roman painting from the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore in Poland. Temporarily inserted into the main altar in the 17th century. during the indulgence of Our Lady of the Snow (5 of August 1633), instead of the proper image, it remains in this place to the present day. Recognized as miraculous in the 17th century., he is worshiped to this day. He was crowned 6 September 1970 by Stefan Cardinal Wyszyński, and he was crowned 15 of August 1977 by the bishop of Płock, Bogdan Sikorski, with the participation of 70 priests and 6000 faithful.

The beginning of the cult dates back to the 17th century from the moment the painting was placed in the altar. Pilgrims from nearby parishes have come and are still coming here, many miracles were written. The evidence of the favors received are the votive offerings made in the past (103) and today. The oldest ones come from the 16th century., and silver plaques placed on four pilasters above the stalls and at the altar deserve special attention. To this day, pilgrims from the Wyszogród region make pilgrimages to the sanctuary, Zakroczymska and Płońska, tourists-pilgrims from various parts of Poland and foreign guests. Before Ms Mazovia, the pilgrims of the Warmian pilgrimage wandering to Jasna Góra are bowed down. W 1967 the temple was elevated to the rank of a minor basilica. Indulgence celebrations, during which pilgrims walk around the altar on their knees, accumulate a dozen or so thousand annually. faithful. Annually, the sanctuary in Czerwiń is visited by approx. 30 thousand. pilgrims and tourists. Masses of the faithful, even from distant parts of Poland they are gathered by the local Salesians: "Nativity Scene" on the occasion of Christmas and the "Mystery of the Passion of Christ" on the occasion of Lent. In May, Cz. is visited by a pilgrimage of music bands to Pani Mazowsze and the "Maria-Song" festival takes place – nationwide review of Marian songs and songs.

In the monastery there is an exhibition of collections from the territory of Salesian missions and a memorial house of Augustus, Cardinal Hlonda, Salesian, primate of Poland.

Indulgences are held on the feast of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (25 brand), Pentecost, Wniebowzięcia NMP (15 of August) and the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (8 September).