DUKLA – the city on Jasiołka, to the north. on the border of the Low Beskids, in the Przemyśl Archdiocese. It was founded on the trade route to Hungary known as the Dukla route. The city is associated with Saint John of Dukla.
Saint John was born in Dukla at the beginning of the 15th century. (the exact date is unknown). About 1435 he joined the conventual Franciscans. In this congregation he held the office of guardian, first in Krosno, and then in Lviv, where he also served as the custodian of the Ruthenian custody in 1443-1461. Most likely in 1463 st. John moved to the congregation of the Bernardines. To avoid possible difficulties (e.g.. objection from his superiors) and to obtain a formal permit, he used the arrival of Provincial Mikołaj Stryczek to Lviv. During the feast organized by the city councilors of St.. John asked the provincial, could he go to the Bernardines. The provincial gave him permission, thinking, that it is just a visit. The Franciscans could not force St.. Jana for the return, because the provincial gave his consent in the presence of many witnesses. At the Bernardines, similarly to the Franciscans, st. John became famous as a preacher and confessor. He died 29 September 1484 and was buried in the Bernardine monastery church in Lviv.
The cult of Jan of Dukla developed a year ago 1615, when official efforts for his beatification began. He was most worshiped in Lviv, where his relics rested. In addition to the Lviv townspeople, pilgrims came to his grave, including. from Drohobycz, Gródka, Mostisk, Sambora, Sokal and Lublin and Trembowla. His cult was very widespread among soldiers as well. It was due to the chaplains, which were most often the Bernardine monks. The monks even founded the military brotherhood of St.. Michael. The biggest soldier's feast then was the feast of St.. Michael 29 September – then it was also the anniversary of the death of St.. Jana.
His beatification had an influence on the revival of the cult of John of Dukla, done 21 January 1733 by Pope Clement XII. The same pope in a year 1739, m.in. at the request of King Augustus III and the Lviv magistrate, he proclaimed the blessed patron of the Crown and Lithuania.
W 1740 Bernardines came to Dukla, who introduced the feast of Bl. Jana. The Metropolitan of Lviv, Mikołaj Ignacy Wyżycki, presented the monastery with a part of the relic in a silver reliquary in the shape of a monstrance. W 1770 the monastery received the second part of the relic. Sent from Lviv forged in silver, a large baroque reliquary contained the arm of Bl. Jana.
Ongoing from 1949 the canonization process is over 10 June 1997. On that day, the Holy Father John Paul II during a solemn mass in Krosno, which is one of the points of the fourth Pilgrimage to the Homeland, proclaimed John of Dukla a saint of the Catholic Church.
In Dukla, the main place of worship of St.. John is the Bernardine monastery church, built in the years 1761-1764. The interior of the church is decorated with a polychrome depicting scenes from the saint's life and events related to his cult. In the chapel of St.. John is a reliquary with his remains. The second place associated with the saint is situated on the Trzciana, ok. 5 km south of Dukla, the so-called. hermitage in the wilderness. According to tradition, he was to stay here for several years as a hermit after he left his family home. He was also supposed to visit him here, during his pilgrimage from Krakow to Rome, st. Jan kanty. Currently, "in the wilderness" there is a brick church erected in the 1906-1908 on the site of an earlier wooden chapel. Next to this temple is the so-called. hermit's house. A hermit stays there from May to September – Bernardine of Dukla Monastery. Below the church there is a spring considered miraculous. On the other bank of Jasiołka, on the slopes of Cergowa, stands the "Golden Well" chapel – also with a source of miraculous water – in a place associated with the stay of St.. John of Dukla. In June 1997 John Paul II made a pilgrimage to the relics of the saint in Dukla.